I feel like I could do a TON of french posts, there are so many french animations out there. One good place to see a bunch is Short of the Week has a French Playlist
I would recommend watching ALL of them, yes ALL of them.
The playlist includes:
1.Logorama - F. Alaux, H. de Crécy, L. Houplain (Won the Oscar 2010)
2.Mei Ling - Stéphanie Lansaque & François L.
3.Un Tour De Manége - Gobelins
4.Skhizein - Jérémy Clapin
5.Oktapodi - Gobelins
6.En Tuz Brazos - Goby, Landour & Jouret
7.Une Histoire Vertebrale -Jérémy Clapin
8.A Quoi Ca Sert L’amour? - Louis Clichy
My teacher Jeanne Stern showed us Peter Foldes "La Faim" in my Experimental Animation class when teaching us how to do morphs. This is now one of my favorite films
So I can't make a French post without mentioning Sylvain Chomet but instead of jumping to The Triplets of Belleville or The Illusionist my favorite is his short film "La Vieille Dame Et Les Pigeons" which all 3 parts can be seen here on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srODm62kBAw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJgcHuQseLc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ku3hNxM5S4
Here is Alexandre Alexeieff "La Nariz" Part I and II
Oh and a fun fact about Alexandre Alexeieff, He invented the Pinscreen!
Emile Cohl's "Fantasmagorie" he is said to be "The Father of the Animated Cartoon"
Kihachiro Kawamoto's "Kenju giga" a Japanese animator who died last year :(
Made this French film, Which I want to say is one of my all time favorite shorts I have ever seen.
I can't make a French Animation post without mentioning Georges Méliès, he pretty much invented a bunch of film techniques and this is his most famous film "A trip to the Moon" if you haven't seen it, I would suggest seeing it because it's a fun film and is one of those "most important films ever made in history" type of film. (They made us watch this is Intro to Film)
Here are a few Full-Lengths worth renting
Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi "Persepolis" which i'm surprised at how many people who haven't heard/seen it is really amazing
Fears of the Dark ( I saw this in theaters with only one other person in the entire theater and...I was scared)
and last but not least for my post is Rene La Loux's "Fantastic Planet" one of my all time favorite films. You can watch all of it on Youtube. Here is the trailer:
After writing this post I am already thinking of who else to add for my Part II which will come out later. With the Short of the Week playlist and the Goeblins playlist I mentioned in an earlier post all these films can keep you busy!
*and in other french news
This is me doing Rosetta Stone french for about 7 hours straight, no breaks
what a mess



Hi Ambar! I found your blog through Rookie.
ReplyDeleteI really love your interest in animation!
Have you seen David Lynch's "Alphabet?" Very scary!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpxXx5Qf4HA
And if you haven't, please check out all of Jan Svankmajer's films!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBwXfg3Mr4
Oh thank you! RookieMag is so cool i'm really honored for me and Ella to be in it :)
ReplyDeleteI actually don't think i've seen this lynch animation so thank you so much for telling me!
I'm a Svankmajer fan of course :)
I am going to make a Czech animation post eventually, I already know the Czech animators I want to include it's just a matter of finding time to make a serious blog post because I am so busy here at CalArts now!
If you have any other animations please send them to me! I am obsessed with watching animations and learning as much about animation so please send links!
ambar